[Asterisk-Users] Internet Phone Concept Question

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Fri Mar 5 17:59:18 MST 2004

Hey, all. I'm new to this Asterisk stuff and have a general "concept"
question about making calls and whatnot over the net.

I have a 4-port TDM card and a 1-port x100p card for incoming. All is
configured and working fine. I have a _very_ simple configuration (start
simple, add bells and whistles later).

I have a cable modem hook-up and access the internet with a download
speed of 128k and upload speed of 32k. My Asterisk server sits on a LAN,
under a Freesco router running on an Pentium I machine (10BaseT cards
because).

I live in Costa Rica and would like to utilize the internet, if
possible, to call family and friends in the U.S.A. Can I do that with
Asterisk? Can I do that with standard analog phones through Asterisk?
Can I do that without having another Asterisk machine State-side?

If you have a link that would explain the concepts to me, that would be
fine. Or if you could kinda "prime the pump" for me so I can get the
ball rolling on my end - that'd be very much appreciated, too.

Thanks ahead of time.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux