[OT] Genetic Diversity (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Feebsd , pls. HELP !)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Mar 4 17:01:29 MST 2004

> > > Genetic diversity in operating system support is a good
> > > thing. It makes for more robust code. Following standards
> > > is a good thing -- POSIX was written for a reason. If you
> > > only support one OS you are less likely to notice when
> > > you do something non-standard.
> >
> > Ahh then you don't believe the SCO FUD that Linux sprang forth from SVR4
> > or 5 or something else they supposedly own that is also the foundation
> > of the BSDs.....
>
> I don't know what the big deal about that is. Remember
> 4.4BSD-Lite? In the unlikely event that SCO gains any
> legal traction whatsoever, any alleged SVR4 stuff in
> Linux can just be taken out and rewritten from scratch,
> it's been done before...

The legal issues (if any) are tied into the past, not the future. If what
is being suggested by SCO really is true and the legal system agrees with
their claims, SCO will likely have the ability to invoice their "claims"
(damages) against those "mis-using" the code, etc. (I'm not into flames
and wars, and I'm certainly not an attorney but have been around the I/T
block more then once, so read all the "ifs" carefully before hitting Reply.)

Rewriting the code addresses the future, _not_ the SCO claims.

Given that most/many attorneys do their homework rather well on high-
impact cases, think I'd bet a fair amount of money they've already paid
someone to crawl accessible IP addresses, inventory what's behind those
that respond, and likely have a historical database of high-return cases
in the wings ready for the verdict, notification, and invoice.

But, none of us can predict the outcome with any degree of accuracy, so
most of this is a waste of bandwidth anyway.

Rich