[Asterisk-Users] Re: No Ringback Tone when Dialing (outside caller to internal extension from auto-attendant)

Paul Vermette paul_vermette at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 11:49:43 MST 2004

Well, I think I discovered even further why there is no ringback tone available. The following message, is displayed on the console in asterisk.

ioctl(ZT_LOADZONE) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Failed to register zone 'United States / North America': No data available

Looking more into it, I found that it was related to loading tones for a particular zone. The message is printed out when I run the Ringing Application or when I attempt to put the 'r' option on the Dial application in my extensions.conf.

My guess is that it is trying to load the tones for the zone but since it fails to register them no sounds are available to be played back including ringback tone. This could explain my situation.

I originally got the HEAD from CVS when I compiled and installed the drivers for zaptel/zapata/libpri. I then tried the versions that where available for download from ftp.digium.com. Neither worked.

I am using asterisk 0.7.2 with no patches applied.
I am using gcc 2.96 for compiling

"Paul Vermette" <paul_vermette at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c24m3l$80t$1 at sea.gmane.org...
  I have had some success at getting ringback tone working with the X100P card. Unfortunately, it will not meet my requirements.

  The following provides ringback tone for an incoming caller. Please note that the Zap channels are configured to use the inbound context.

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20)

  This works because the X100P is not going into an offhook state. So ringback tone is being provided by the PSTN. So if you use Answer, Playback or Background application, it requires asterisk to put the state of the line in an off-hook state which makes sense. This is where my problem lies. Once asterisk puts the X100P line in an offhook state, I cannot get any ringback tone. The following simple scenarios where tried and did NOT work.

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20)

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Ringing
  exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20)

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Ringing
  exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20,r)

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Ringing
  exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20,tr)

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20,r)

  [inbound]
  exten => s,1,Answer
  exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/spa01-2,20,tr)

  Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "Paul Vermette" <paul_vermette at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:000901c40060$680f9a90$1d0ba8c0 at skyridge.com...
    I have been unsuccessful of yet to produce a ringback tone when trying as an outside caller to dial an internal extension from an auto-attendant. This is the scenario:

    1.     Outside caller dials main line that is going into an FXO card (X100P).

    2.     Auto-attendant answers

    3.     Outside caller dials an internal extension

    4.     Internal extensions are analog phones connected to SPA-2000 using SIP.

    In Step one, of course the caller gets a ringback tone until the auto-attendant calls (supplied by the PSTN).

    In Step 3, the extension rings but no ringback tone is supplied to the caller.

    Things I have tried thus far (_please read_).

    1.     Removing Answer application from auto-attendant

    2.     Adding "r" option to Dial application

    3.     Add Ringing application before dialing

    None of these options have worked.

    Please note that if I call from one internal extension to another, I get a ringback tone. As well if I call an outside line from an internal extension I get a ringback tone.

    I have searched the Asterisk Wiki, Asterisk Mailing List and google.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.