[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Passthrough

Steve Creel screel at turbs.com
Tue Mar 2 09:39:53 MST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Emanuele Laface wrote:

>My actual pbx is connected to the external world with 2 PRI interface, my
>idea is to insert asterisk in the middle, I want disconnect the two PRI,
>connect them to the asterisk and connect the asterisk with old pbx with a
>"cross cable".

>So, at the first step, my asterisk is simple a passthrough, but in the
>future I can change smoothly all my office phone and finally I can
>disconnect the old pbx.

You've got two options here - you can use dacs in /etc/zaptel.conf to
literally just cross-connect the PRIs.  The two telco PRIs would come in
on two of your ports, and would turn around and go back out on the other
two.  This happens in the zaptel module and doesn't make it up into
asterisk.

Your other option is to terminate the two PRIs into asterisk, and use
asterisk to provide two PRIs into your PBX.  This gives you access to the
actual call routing.

>Ok, I'm at the first step, I have two problem:
>- First problem: what is the configuration of asterisk for "passthrough"?
>I have a good knowledge about SIP, IAX, and asterisk in general, I have
>build a working configuration with SIP phones (Grandstream Budget One) and
>asterisk with a PRI, but I don't know how I can configure the
>zaptel card for passthrough.

>- Second problem (is not a real problem): where I can find the diagram for
>a "cross cable" for PRI-to-PRI connection.

If you're looking for a cable to go from the TE410P to your existing phone
switch, you need a T1 crossover.  Jared Smith has a good chart:
http://www.jaredsmith.net/misc/cables/

Good luck,

Steve