[Asterisk-Users] Small office requirements - Can this be done?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 2 03:04:23 MST 2004

Steve Kennedy wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:08:29PM -0600, Michael Graves wrote:
>

>>I have disagree about the ADSL. I have a1.5 Mbit/512kbit service from
>>Covad (in the US Southwest) and I have sustained 4 calls without a
>>problem.  I prefer to use GSM over G.711to squeeze it down, but that is
>>my choice. I don't feel that call quality is substandard.
>>

>That's the crunch (1.5/512) ... it's actually the 512 which is relevent.
>Virtually all DSL in the UK is a wholesale product from BT (they have
>about 2 million customers, Easynet who local loop unbundle may have
>20,000, the rest of the providers maybe another 10,000 between them).
>
>All BT ADSL is 256K upstream, all BT DSL is contented (in theory 20:1
>and 50:1, but actually a lot less than that), there are a few providers
>doing their own contention over BT's product.
>
>However the 256K upstream is still the limiting factor, so you can get
>one, and MAYBE two VoIP lines over it. If BT would up the upstream to
>512, you could probaly get 4 out of it ....
>

>Steve

On the UK DSL using G.711 you should easily get 2 concurrect calls,
G.711 uses about 84k(incl overhead) in each direction, so 2 calls would
be 168K (of the 256k)

If you switch o GSM or iLBC you should get 6 concurrent calls, and if
you were to use IAX2 trunking you could *maybe* squeeze another one..

Other codecs could offer even more but I haven't tested them..

Later..