[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Causing Cisco 7200 Router to Crash?

Brian Wilkins brian at hcc.net
Wed Jun 30 09:01:49 MST 2004

> If your fiber card is no longer functioning, there is more to this
> issue than some malformed packets...  is your router on a UPS?  Is
> the cable run to the router over 100m/300'?
>
> Nick

The cable is shorter than 300' and it's not a power overload/underload
problem. We have load balanced our routers. It's a very complex setup that we
have. Like I said, this only happens when I fire up the Asterisk server.
Everything else works fine. We have since taken the server off of the router
and brought it into the office for testing. Now, without the Asterisk server
running, the router works great. We didn't have any extra fiber cards, so we
had to put a FastEthernet card in there instead, but that is the only change.
It only happens when I do say: asterisk -vvvvv. Once it starts up, the router
goes bananas. It's the craziest thing I have seen.

I'm going to try and upgrade the IOS later. I'll try and post the snap of the
reboot message tomorrow when I get back to work.

- Brian