[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Causing Cisco 7200 Router to Crash?

Nicholas Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Wed Jun 30 18:09:18 MST 2004

Brian Wilkins wrote:

>On Yaum al-Arbi'a 12 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 05:42 pm, Harold Workman wrote:
>

>>As far as loosing the configuration...the only reason I could see that
>>happening is if you either are doing one of the two...   not saving the
>>configuration...or you have the configuration register set to something
>>like 0x2142.  look on show version for the configuration register.  it
>>should be 0x2102.   And again, i would look for tracebacks...it could
>>either be a memory issue or a bug in the IOS.  But you will know if you get
>>console access to the router as u bring up the asterisk...

[I've fixed your top-posting... threads are much easier to read if you
reply inline]

>A traceback is not possible. The best thing I can show everyone is the reboot
>message.

You might try using a packet sniffer like Ethereal on the Asterisk box
to see what is happening leading up to the crash.

>The logs got obliterated when the Asterisk server started up and the
>best we can imagine, sent an invalid "code" to the router.

This isn't an Asterisk problem; routers should NOT crash no matter what
packets are sent -- especially good routers.

>We are going to set up a small test subnet here and bounce around on the router to see what
>is the problem. The Cisco 7200 router uses the IOS that is optimized for
>VoIP. The server caused our fiber card to burn up and now we have to replace
>it.

If your fiber card is no longer functioning, there is more to this issue
than some malformed packets...  is your router on a UPS?  Is the cable
run to the router over 100m/300'?

Nick