[Asterisk-Users] Call dropping out after 5s: Solution!

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Tue Jun 29 07:14:20 MST 2004

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I posted two days ago a problem I was facing that calls made over the
> Internet to my Asterisk gateway would hang-up after just 5s (no NAT were
> involved)
> Answer I got was: it's your config
>
> Well, it wasn't (as I was expecting).
> I compiled Asterisk under a Linux RedHat 9 PC, I copied across all the
> config files from the FreeBSD server to the Linux PC.
> Started asterisk, registered the phone: all worked fine first go, and
> guess what?? No drop after 5s.
>
> I guess the FreeBSD support is just not up to scratch.

I would consider the operating system under which you are trying to run
part of the overall config.  On that note: which part of "Asterisk - The
Open Source LINUX PBX" do you not understand?

> Many people have responded to my complaint that there was a lot of
> information available and basically people should just read it. My point
> is: do not always assume people did not read available documentation.
> For the past 4 days I've read the almost entire wiki site ; I looked at
> almost all messages sent to this distribution list that was somehow
> related to my problem: no luck.

Problems running Asterisk on [non-Linux] are regularly documented.  I
guess your search-foo isn't as strong as your bitch/moan-foo.

> I also faced another problem today. Encouraged by the progress with the
> Linux server, I configured the TDM03B (3 FXO ports). Loaded the kernel
> module, no problem card was recognized. Started asterisk, tried to make
> a call:

<snip>

> Open the PC again, move the card into the third and last PCI slot.
> Disabled the USB 2.0 host controller that was sharing the same IRQ (7).
> Start asterisk, dial: It works!
>
> So now which PCI slot your card is in makes a difference! Something very
> fishy here.
>
> Was this documented? I didn't find anything like that whatsoever. I
> guess this could be added somewhere

This comes up on the list at LEAST once per month.  Please refer to
search-foo vs bitch/moan-foo above.

> Jean-Yves
>
> - ---
> Jean-Yves Avenard