[Asterisk-Users] Can one send CLID NAME over PRI?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Jun 27 20:05:16 MST 2004

At 2:17 PM -0700 on 6/25/04, Ehud Gavron wrote:
>Is it possible to send CLID NAME on a PRI?
>
>The numbers we send out are being received by telco and propagated,
>but the names we send out are not showing up.
>Is this a feature in PRI?  Do we need to set PRI_NET instead of PRI_CPE?
>Is this just not possible?  Is this a telco config issue?
>
>Thanks for your help... I've read voip-info, and various other sources, and
>search engines, and google... with no success.
>
>Ehud
>[snip]

No, CNAM (Caller NAMe) data is looked up via caller ID digit
information by the far end (or somewhere in the middle.)   This is a
vestige of telephone companies wanting to control the entire process
from the center, versus the "next-generation" systems like VoIP
wanting to control it from the edges.  Welcome to the first ring of
hell; it gets warmer the closer you get to SS7.

You cannot (yet) transmit this information to any providers in North
America, so far as I am aware.  You would have to pay your upstream
PSTN (SS7) carrier to insert these records in some central database,
probably Verisign or the ILEC from which the number is purchased.  If
you don't "own" the numbers that you're transiting, then you're out
of luck.

An interesting trick between Asterisk servers might be to use the UUI
(User-to-User Information) data that is part of the PRI q.931
specifications.  It is unknown at this time how many carriers
actually pass UUI data from end-to-end, and there currently exist
only a few sparse patches for Asterisk that deal it.

For some additional discussion, use Google or start here:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-September/001748.html

JT