[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on 64 bit... and testing e164.org's stuff

Mike Taht mike at taht.net
Sun Jun 27 10:20:39 MST 2004

works, but there are some issues.

I've had asterisk up and running on a suse 9.0 beta 7 x86_64 for about
two weeks now.
I used then-current cvs, and the compile went smoothly with only a dozen
complaints about 64 bit casting of pointer types.

The good news : Latency is effectively non-existent (especially when
compared to the lame c3 itx box I normally use), and asterisk has not
crashed once. Even when transcoding 5 calls it barely ticks over
processorwise... vmail and agi "just work" -

The bad news:

the soundcard in thix box (a tyan?) doesn't work
the kernel on this box has oopsed thrice
A working festival wasn't on the beta  (I note that 9.1 came out
recently and it  has it)
the ztdummy driver did not compile (thus no meetme for a soft pbx
without a dialin card)
openh323 did not compile 64 bit
I haven't yet tried plugging in any hw, using it purely "soft"

I have spent the last couple weeks working at a new gig and haven't had
time to look into these issues.  I plan to take on some of them next
weekend equipped with the new version of Suse, or perhaps redhat
(opinions?). Is there an ISDN card known to work well in a 64 bit OS?

Instead of taking on the 64 bit issues I have been having fun
experimenting with enum and e164.org on this box. I'd be curious if
anyone out there in asterisk land could spend a few minutes with me
exchanging calls via e164 to make sure I'm routing calls right.

--
mike taht
CTO, PicketWyre Labs

78068 at fwd.pulver.com (forwards to me on asterisk, known, working)
Test 64 bit machine (sorry, no sip, just iax2) guest at iax.taht.net/201 -
I *think* this rings my extension at this point -
18313355505 (should spit out a IAX2://guest@iax.taht.net/201 connection
to me via enum - or just dial my land line if not working)