R: [Asterisk-Users] Which Linux ?

Manuel Wenger manuel.wenger at ticinocom.com
Wed Jun 23 23:48:33 MST 2004

> Based on th wiki, avoid kernel 2.6 unless you know what you are doing.
> Likewise with fedora, which seems to work but needs kernel thread turned off.

Just my experience: I have installed Asterisk twice on Fedora Core 1 with kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp on Dual Xeon systems. It has worked perfectly both times, without needing any additional compiler flags, and no kernel panics.

What I have found out is that I had to disable hyperthreading, or I would be getting very choppy audio (I think that's what you mean when you say "needs kernel thread turned off"). By the way, the "noht" flag in lilo/grub isn't enough, it has to be disabled in the BIOS. Don't know if that's an issue on other Linuxes as well.

-Manuel