[Asterisk-Users] help needed with read()

Sathya sathyaw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 23 08:12:06 MST 2004

Hi,

Greatly appreciate if some one help me with the application read().

asterisk*CLI> show application read
asterisk*CLI>
  -= Info about application 'Read' =-

[Synopsis]:
Read a variable

[Description]:
  Read(variable[|filename]):  Reads a '#' terminated string of digits from
the user, optionally playing a given filename first.  Returns -1 on hangup
or
error and 0 otherwise.

I need to collect a variable length digit string terminated by # and then
pass those digits  to an agi script. I can do this as follows (when I know
the length of the string).

exten => s,1,BackGround(please-enter-the-fourdigit-pin)
exten => s,2,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,3,ResponseTimeout,10
exten => _XXXX,1, agi, agiscript.agi

I would like to use Read() here, like

exten => s,1,BackGround(please-enter-the-pin)
exten => s,2,Background(followed-by-pound)
exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,10
exten => s,5,Read(${EXTEN})

This will read the digits but I do not know how to proceed after the
reading.

Thanks a bunch

Sathya