[Asterisk-Users] Codecs and pauses

Matt matt at powderdays.com
Wed Jun 23 03:51:05 MST 2004

Hi all

My * implementation is working brilliantly with only one small fault left to
kill.
I'm using IAXTalk from Telappliant for my incoming/outgoing calls to the
pstn network; if I set my codec to GSM everything works great - no pauses
but quality is a bit poor.  If it set the codec to alaw (I think I'm using
the correct one - I'm in the UK) I get intermittent pauses on the call.

Initially I thought it was just a connectivity thing but I get a latency of
less than 10ms to iax.voiptalk.org and I'm using a 2mb leased line.  To
further ensure it wasn't something on the line I've disconnected everything
except the * box, a 7960 phone.

My phones are all 7960's using SIP.  There is a X100P card in the server moh
timing etc but it isn't connected to the pstn.

The * box itself is a PIII 833 with 256MB.  Not at all stressed as this is
all it does.

Any hints or tips would be really useful as I'm stumped now.

Thanks

Matt