[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk<>X100P<>Packet8

Brian Weaver brian at fcu.com
Mon Jun 21 13:16:18 MST 2004

Noob here, my apologies in advance.

Recently my employer decide to stop paying for my home POTS line, so
I ordered packet8 for a home line instead of another POTS line, since
I really dislike my local phone company, and the POTS line without
any long distance would cost more than the $20 to packet8 with
unlimited US calling.

Anyway, this whole thing got me started thinking about VOIP a lot
more, and being a Linux hack, I came across Asterisk pretty fast.

Question is this, I know the ATA with packet8 is locked down, but is
there any reason I can't use it just like a regular POTS line with
Asterisk if I buy a X100P card? That way I could pick up a SIP device
to talk to Asterisk, and configure the PBX to use packet8 for all US
calling. Being new to this, just want to know if this is a reasonable
approach or totally newbian.

Also, I saw nufone was very Asterisk friendly, do they support inbound
calls, meaning can they assign me a PTSN number, or is their service
for outbound calling only?

Thanks