[Asterisk-Users] TE410P / Eicon PRI

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jun 21 08:29:47 MST 2004

On 2004.06.21 08:02 Steve Underwood wrote:
> Holger Schurig wrote:
>
>>> Unless someone does something serious about the flakiness of
>>> libtiff, I
>>> don't think either spandsp or Hylafax will ever be very stable. :-(
>>>

>> Delete the word "unless".
>>
>> And then create a subdirectory spandsp/tiff where you put a libtiff
>> into it that actually works. Create this libtiff as a .a file and
>> link spandsp statically against it, then you won't have problems
>> with different libtiff's on the system.
>>
> That isn't what I meant. libtiff is really flaky when you give it a
> bad tiff file. It used to core dump on almost any fault. I fed
> updates back to the libtiff guys a few years ago, which I think went
> in. Others must have contributed most robustness too. It isn't as bad
> as it used to be, but I have TIFF files here which make 3.6.0 dump
> core. This is, of course, a rather nasty thing to have happen in a
> homogenous multi-threaded setup like *.

I've never seen this kind of "flakiness" of libtiff cause any problems
for HylaFAX.  As far as I'm aware, there has only been two instances
when libtiff caused HylaFAX any grief.  The 3.6.1 release problem with
G3/G4 is a given.  And then there was the 16-to-32 bit type change that
occurred with the 3.4.x-to-3.5.x change.

In all the years of using HylaFAX I've never had any other libtiff
issues give me any grief with HylaFAX.  In fairness, however, HylaFAX
only uses a very narrow set of functions and utilities from libtiff.
It has its own G3/G4 encoder and decoder built-in and relies on that
most of the time.

Lee.