[Asterisk-Users] UK install

Stuart Mackintosh sm at opusvl.com
Sat Jun 19 04:05:14 MST 2004

Hi Tim,

I have done a very similar migration to the one you are suggesting. To
start off with, you could buy a TDM card with 4 modules to allow you to
pick 4 analogue channels from the Argent system or one or two x100 cards
and pass them to Asterisk. As the Argent kit is very configurable, you
can configure the POTS lines to the US standard and have callerID and
other features not supported on standard UK lines. This will allow you
to start using the system in a production environment without the
business suffering as you learn the system. Once you are happy the
system operates as you expect, you can connect it directly with the PRI
card and bypass the Argent system.

You will find that Asterisk does work differently to the Argent kit and
trying to emulate the behaviour may not be as easy as you expect.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone has tried using the Argent
POTS units on Asterisk or if this is possible.

You could always use the Grandstream ATA 286 and use your handsets on
these. The cheap SIP phones (in my experience) dont play well with
standard headsets.

Stuart.