[Asterisk-Users] trouble compiling zaptel-0.9.1 on YellowDog (PowerMac)

Artur Jasowicz artur_asterisk at hoytpub.com
Fri Jun 18 12:51:18 MST 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 1:05 PM, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 11:06, Artur Jasowicz wrote:
>> I am running asterisk on an old PowerComputing Mac clone running
>> YellowDog 3.0 (Red Hat clone for PowerMacs) I've decided to try adding
>> a generic winmodem card and compile zaptel-0.9.1 for it.
>>
>> First I tried to just unpack zaptel archive and do make clean; make
>> install. Compiled fine, but during insallation I got the "unresolved
>> symbols" error messages from depmod -a
>
> Use -ae for depmod to find out what it is complaining about, then you
> can move forward. My bet is there isn't support for the hardware on non
> x86 hardware.

That was what I did before updating my kernel source tree with
currently running kernel's config file. Now I don't get as far as
module installation to be able to do depmod. Now I need to figure out
how to cleanly compile the drivers now that dependencies in kernel
source have been updated to match kernel's configuration.

What support are you referring to? I am trying to get a regular PCI
card to work on a PCI-equipped machine. All I should have to do is
recompile the driver. The driver for a PCI card should not be dependent
on any hardware other than PCI bus being present, should it?

In case anyone's curious, here's the result of depmod -ae from an
earlier compile, before I did make dep in kernel tree:
depmod -ea
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/wcfxo.o
depmod:         pci_free_consistent
depmod:         pci_alloc_consistent
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/wcfxs.o
depmod:         pci_free_consistent
depmod:         pci_alloc_consistent
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/wct1xxp.o
depmod:         pci_free_consistent
depmod:         pci_alloc_consistent
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/wct4xxp.o
depmod:         pci_free_consistent
depmod:         pci_alloc_consistent
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/wcusb.o
depmod:         usb_deregister
depmod:         usb_register
depmod:         usb_set_configuration
depmod:         usb_submit_urb
depmod:         usb_control_msg
depmod:         usb_set_interface
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/zaptel.o
depmod:         __wake_up
depmod:         register_chrdev
depmod:         create_proc_entry
depmod:         remove_wait_queue
depmod:         request_module
depmod:         proc_mkdir
depmod:         __pollwait
depmod:         remove_proc_entry
depmod:         add_wait_queue
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/ztd-eth.o
depmod:         __kfree_skb
depmod:         alloc_skb
depmod:         skb_under_panic
depmod:         dev_remove_pack
depmod:         dev_queue_xmit
depmod:         dev_get_by_name
depmod:         skb_over_panic
depmod:         dev_add_pack
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/misc/ztdynamic.o
depmod:         request_module

grep "pci_free_consistent" /boot/System.map returns:
c000f558 T pci_free_consistent
c022a2d4 R __kstrtab_pci_free_consistent
c027c25c R __ksymtab_pci_free_consistent

So I guess at least one of the symbols new modules are looking for is
there.