[Asterisk-Users] TE410P / Eicon PRI

Klaus-Peter Junghanns kpj at junghanns.net
Fri Jun 18 11:28:23 MST 2004

Am Fr, 2004-06-18 um 19.56 schrieb Lee Howard:
> Firstly, I'm not just talking about receiving faxes.
>
> If my choices are between HylaFAX and spandsp and if I want outbound
> queueing and a client-server interface for networked usage, then
> spandsp will not cut it alone.
>
> So yes, anyone who wants these features will need to use HylaFAX.  And
> to use HylaFAX with Asterisk currently one must send the fax calls to
> an FXS port and then to a HylaFAX-controlled modem.

Theoretically chan_capi could also be modified for fax support, since
that is already part of the CAPI specs. But spanDSP works for all
channel types so i dont see the need for this.

For outbound spooling pbx_spool is your friend. If you want to take
total control of the spooling yourself you can also build something
very nice and scalable with the manager interface.

> This is not a pretty configuration, I completely agree.  And, I
> completely agree that there are a myriad of beautiful ways to do this,
> in theory.  But the coding does not exist for those to be reality.  So
> unless someone wants to code it or pay to have it coded, then those who
> want outbound queueing and a client-server interface must put up with
> the cumbersome configuration.

I agree that the hylafax clients are really nice and very useful.

> Furthermore, even if you assumed that spandsp was as stable as HylaFAX,
> there is a vast feature-set difference between them as far as the
> faxing itself goes.  Steve has already made it clear that he sees no
> future in fax, and that he does not intend to bridge that feature-set
> gap at all.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hylafax and spanDSP are two totally
different pairs of shoes. Hylafax relies on the "modem" device to
actually provide the fax capability. SpanDSP is pure software solution.
You can fax with any Asterisk channel driver even VoIP.

Apart from the missing network client you can build any feature you
can dream about with Asterisk.

Oh, and btw, i receive all my faxes with capi4hylafax and HylaFAX of
course, just because SuSE comes with such a nice configruation tool
for it (and i am lazy!). :)

best regards

Klaus