[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream HT-286 and NAT

Nathan Martinez NathanM at aaesys.com
Fri Jun 18 11:31:06 MST 2004

I have 2 Grandstream HT-286 devices and an Asterisk server.  The *
Server is not using NAT and has port 5060 opened up.  One HT-286 is
using traditional NAT and the other HT-286 is behind a residential DSL
router/firewall.  I have the HT-286 setup as the "DMZ Host" in the
router/firewall so that all incoming connections are forwarded to the
HT-286.

HT-286-1 ====== NAT FW ====== * Server ======= Router/FW ====== HT-286-2

In the setup for HT-286-2 , I have filled in the "Use NAT IP" field with
the public IP for that location.  I did the same thing for HT-286-1 and
then I mapped a public IP to its private IP in the NAT FW.  At this
point, the two devices can call each other without any problems.

I want to use the HT-286 for our traveling users who will never know
what their IP is.  When I remove the "Use NAT IP" entry on HT-286-1 as
well as remove its direct IP mapping from the NAT FW, HT-286-1 can
register with the * Server, but when I try to call HT-286-2, all I get
is silence.  If I do a 'sip show channels' it shows that the call is
connected.  Here is what I have in my sip.conf for these two units:

[305]
type=friend
host=dynamic
nat=yes
qualify=100

[307]
type=friend
host=dynamic
nat=yes
qualify=100

Has anyone used these units in this scenario?  Does anyone have any
hints as to what I can try to get this working?  Your help is much
appreciated.

Nathan Martinez