[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as Media Gateway (was: ATT CallVantage & Asterisk)

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Fri Jun 18 10:04:44 MST 2004

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately, * speaks MGCP only as the Call Agent, rather
than as the Media Gateway.  MGCP is a master/slave protocol,
and it would take some effort to make * work as the slave.

I have the same problem: Free Telecom here in Paris includes
MGCP service with their DSL.  You can call any fixed phone in
France at no charge!  Rates to mobiles and international are
quite aggressive, too.  Various ISPs around the world have
similar offers, so I'm surprised that nobody has yet implemented
a solution for *.

In the short term, you could connect the FXS ports on the D-Link
to some FXO interfaces (PCI, TDM, SIP, H.323, or even MGCP).
Of course, this impairs voice quality, increases delay, may
disrupt some functions, is a hassle to administer, etc.
But it's better than nothing.

I am considering adding MG capability to the * MGCP stack.
Do you or does anyone have an interest in helping with this?

--Stewart