[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk-Users List Etiquette

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Thu Jun 17 07:08:09 MST 2004

It's an open mailing list, you're not butting in at all.

I agree with you completely, however, there is this great tool called
'exageration' that is sometimes used to make a point when a real-world
example would be too small to be perceived as signifigant.  For those
nay-sayers, please look at my post carefully.  I bottom posted, keeping the
existing style, and while I left the quoted material untrimmed, I also
mentioned the other extreme, which is to completely exclude any quoted
material at all.

The bottom line of this issue is that everyone has their preferences, and no
amount of crying and whining will cause the other side to comply with your
wishes.  There are valid reasons for both posting styles, live with it.

Those who continue to whine and cry about top posting need to be larted with
a vengence.  It's like the last cry of those who lost the vi-vs-emacs
debate.  Just because you prefer one over the other doesn't make everyone
else 'wrong.'  IMO, the top-vs-bottom topic really needs to be classified
right along side with the RH-vs-Debian, red-vs-blue, unix-vs-windows,
ford-vs-chevy, linux-vs-bsd, and other similar cases of personal
preferences.  The is no winner, there never will be a winner.

BTW, for those of you who are curious, I too dispise HTML formatted email in
a mailing list environment.  I also dislike those who flagrantly disregard
existing styles within a thread (but, it's ok if different threads have
different styles).  I also have very low regard for those among us who would
hijack a thread.  I don't use a threaded mail reader myself (sucks to be
me), but when browsing archives by thread, it's really annoying to find
questions about personal lubricant in the middle of a heated debate about
top-vs-bottom.

Of course, sometimes a thread will mutate naturally, at which point, it may
be appropriate to change the subject (which I'm not going to do, since I'm
too damned lazy.

Oh, for those curious, my single, biggest beef with mailing lists, is the
inclusion of a list tag in the Subject: line.  I know it's Asterisk-Users,
because it says so in the To: line.  It also says so in the List-ID: and
Sender: lines.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks