[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk-Users List Etiquette

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jun 17 06:41:29 MST 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 09:21, Troy Settle wrote:
> However, my preference is for top posting.  The reason, is that in order to
> read my message here, you had to scroll through ~70 lines of previous
> discussion.  Stuff that you've /already/ read since you've been following
> this thread.

That's because you didn't trim anything.  To see what I wrote to you You had
less than 10 lines to look at.  Please don't use absurdity to try and prove
your point.

> Oh!  Wait, you found this in an archive, so you /want/ to have the thread
> fully quoted so you don't have to go hunting down the references.  Good,
> that's why I didn't trim this post.

Um no, that's why the archives are threaded themselves.  Attempt at reductio
ad dbsurdum #2 failed.

> Oh, wait, the guys that are following this thread as it's being discussed
> would prefer that I trim out the stuff up there, in which case, I would be
> neither top posting, nor bottom posting.  This message would be a post unto
> itself that wouldn't have any quoted material at all.  Afterall, you've
> already read the referenced material.

I consider trimming the quoted text and replying to the bits you keep as they
occur bottom posting -- your text is FOLLOWING the relevant bits of the
conversation.

Inline posting is something completely different and it's even more heinous:

> So, the bottom line is that top-posters are lazy?  [ yes, they are
absolutely.  Inline posters are even worse! ] I say yes, we are.  We
> don't want to have to scroll through pages of quoted material just to get
> to the new stuff.  [ so trim your damned posts ]

That above is an example of inline posting.  Some managers have a penchant for
that.

> I say that the bottom posters are lazy.  They want a bottom post so that
> they enter into a thread 12 messages later, and not have to read the thread
> 'backwards.'  Read your mail to begin with, and you wouldn't have this
> problem, and you would actually start to appreciate the top posters,
> because they're making it so you don't have to scroll through ~70 lines of
> quoted material to get to the new stuff.

That's not laziness, that is following natural language laws.  I have over 25k
messages in my local copy of asterisk-users.  My MUA understands message
threading so if people posted the One True Way (editing quoted content and
replying underneath, as I am doing to you here) then there is no problem
following the flow of the thread, and if I need more information I move up to
the message parent and see the entire message.

It's not a difficult thing to understand, and this absurdity you're spewing to
try and prove your point only goes to show that your argument doesn't hold
much logic.

Regards,
Andrew