[Asterisk-Users] embedded Asterisk

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Wed Jun 16 20:54:35 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 00:22, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Probably the best thing to do is to build a uClibc tree, disable some
> Asterisk codecs (which don't want to compile, first run) compile again
> and run.
>
> Tomorrow I'm going to do the samething for an Epia-MII
> 1,2GHz/512MB/512MB-CF. Another tip :P Don't compile on flash... just
> make a tree on your harddisk. And copy the required binaries and libs to
> a root tree and attach a kernel. Look at some different Filesystems too,
> depending on for needs Ext2/Minix/CramFS.

Actually, you the Geode CPU mentioned below is a 5x86 (486 platform) at
233 MHz. If you take Pebble (http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble/), which
is a downstripped Debian (< 64 MB) on a readonly ext2 filesystem, you
should be grand. Installing asterisk + some extra stuff will probably
require, that you have at least a 128MB or 256MB flash or so.

There are actually quite some board around on that CPU, like Soekris,
pcengines and i think also Mikrotik at prices from 120EUR and up.

I'm running pebble on a pcengines board, just needed to customize the
kernel a bit, haven't been testing asterisk on that yet, but i definatly
will in the sooner future.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin (at) list (dash) petersen (dot) net

[snip]