[Asterisk-Users] Cost of IP Phones, or Isn't It Just Software?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Wed Jun 16 13:18:40 MST 2004

John Todd wrote:

> failed companies run by engineers.  Selling direct is a limited market;
> there are only so many Asterisk home users that you can advertise to via
> the mailing lists.  :-)

I think there are enough of us resellers/consultants around here to make
a very viable business for a decent phone product; if the Virbiage FT102
IAX phone was available (and reliable) right now at the price listed on
their web site, I could sell 50 in the next week, and plenty more after
that.

Same goes for the Sayson 480i, although it's a little more expensive,
it's still a far better product (or will be :-)) than anything else at
or below its price. If it was available, I'd be selling them immediately.

As it stands today, the least expensive multi-line appearance SIP or IAX
phone available in the US is the Polycom SoundPoint IP 500, which is a
nice phone, but not cheap ($240 or so), and Polycom doesn't really cater
to those of us who aren't buying from their "solution providers". There
is a _huge_ market for a decent, 2/4 line appearance business class
SIP/IAX phone (with G.729 support) for under $200US, and whoever gets
there first is going to have a quick return on their efforts.