[Asterisk-Users] X-Lite/Firefly behind NAT connecting to Asterisk not receiving RTP

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Wed Jun 16 13:03:06 MST 2004

I have an asterisk server up and running, using Firefly in IAX mode
works great, even with Firefly behind a NAT (as expected, since IAX
works really well with NAT).

Now I'm trying to get X-Lite and/or Firefly to work in SIP mode from
behind the NAT, and I can't seem to get there.

At this point, the phone will successfully register with Asterisk, and
the Asterisk qualify messages get delivered to the phone. I can initiate
a call with the phone, or Asterisk can send a call to the phone. In
either case, the RTP traffic does not get accepted by the NAT in front
of the phone, because X-Lite (and Firefly) are not sending the _first_
RTP packet to get the conversation started.

In X-Lite I have specified the Asterisk server as an "outbound proxy",
and its logs shows that setting has taken effect. In Firefly there is no
means to make a similar setting. STUN does not make any difference,
because Asterisk is already sending the RTP packets to the correct IP
address, the firewall is just not allowing them through because it
doesn't know the client (phone) is expecting them.

Obviously I can reconfigure the firewall to open up ports for RTP, and
port-forward them to the computer that X-Lite/Firefly is running on, but
that's not going to work with two phones behind the NAT :-(

I just don't understand what I'm missing here... aren't SIP clients that
know they are behind NAT supposed to initiate the RTP conversation
themselves, so their NAT firewall will know to accept the RTP packets
coming from Asterisk?