[Asterisk-Users] Digium X100P vs Dodgy Ebay X100P

Matt matt at powderdays.com
Wed Jun 16 03:20:25 MST 2004

Hi

I thought this might be of general interest.

Recently I purchased an X100P from a Digium reseller in the UK.  Very
pleased with the card; works perfectly.  My friend (known for his deep
pockets and short arms) purchased an X100P card from Ebay.  He's had no end
of problems with line noise, dropped called etc so I thought I would compare
the two cards.  Plus mine was delivered within two days his to three weeks.

I mention a main chip I'm not an electrical engineer but I assume its some
kind of DSP chip.....

Dodgy Ebay X100P - Smaller form factor with shorter than "normal" PCI Pins
(by "normal" I'm comparing it to the Adaptec SCSI card I have in the machine
and an Intel Pro 100 network card).  No heat sink on main (DSP??) chip.
Chip details removed from silicon chip covers.  Claims to be FCC compliant
but doesn't mention which parts of the rules or a registration number. Bears
a TUV Rheinland Product Saftey logo.

Digium X100P - Larger form factor with longer PCI Pins.  Heat sink on main
(DSP??) chip.  Chips have all marking intact.  Bears an FCC & CE logo and
quote the relevant rules.  It's supported! :-)

Next using an infrared heat gun I checked the running temperatures of the
main (DSP??) chips on both cards after 1 hour of continued use.

Room temp: 	30 degrees Celcius
X100P: 	30 degrees
Dodgy Ebay: 47 degrees

With regards to reliability and performance I've had no problems (after my
initial typo's and lack of understanding were overcome); my friend has had
machine lock ups, dropped calls, awful hum on the lines etc.

I've got a couple of high quality (4000x3000 17mb JPG or 40+mb RAW) images
if anyone wants to compare have a look - for obvious reasons I though it
best not to post them to the list ;-)

Cheers

Matt