[Asterisk-Users] SIP audio cut off even with Answer, Wait...

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Tue Jun 15 21:18:28 MST 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Marty Mastera wrote:

> Having recently gotten Broadvoice inbound DTMF to work (thanks Greg)...I
> am now running into a frustrating problem...when a call comes in to the
> BV number via a cell phone (tested with 3 different cell phones; albeit
> all on T-Mobile) the beginning of the IVR welcome audio is cut off.  A
> call placed via a landline phone over the PSTN to the BV number does not
> exhibit the problem.

I had that problem sometimes when I dialed the extension to get to my
IVR.. I just tested the incoming thing like you described (I think) --
even used a T-mobile cell phone to call -- and my message didn't get
clipped. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I actually didn't even
use Answer, just went straight to Background().. I don't know why that
worked!

Here's what I use for the entry point on my IVR:
exten => s,1,Ringing
exten => s,2,Wait(3)
exten => s,3,Answer
exten => s,4,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,5,ResponseTimeout,20
exten => s,6,Background(mygreeting)

I usually hear one ring, more or less, and then my greeting starts
playing. I noticed that the Wait() in my sequence comes before the Answer,
while it was after Answer in your sequence. I wonder how (if) that affects
the outcome.

> 2) Why would a call from a landline phone have no cutoff problems, even
> with a "Wait,3"?

I'd make a wild guess about the cell network doing audio routing/switching
sort of like how SIP does reinvites.. maybe (if such a thing actually does
happen) it takes long enough that we miss the first part of the greeting.

> 4) If there is no ring indication prior to * answering, and I have no
> "Ringing" command configured in * anywhere in my extensions.conf, where
> is this ringing coming from?

Not sure.. I've noticed that when I call my T-mobile phone from xten lite,
through * and BV, I hear a certain ring sound. If I push Ignore on the
cell phone, then I start hearing a different ring tone and then I go to
voicemail. I believe the second ring is generated by T-mobile, but I don't
know whether the first one I hear comes from * or BV. Sorry about just
muddying the waters and not answering the question.. I don't know where
that ring comes from!

Greg