[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk-Users List Etiquette

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jun 15 04:30:30 MST 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 06:34, Chris Lee wrote:
> Top posting is what a lot of people are very comfortable with.
> It also has the advantage in lists that when you step through a thread
> the answer to the last item is ready for you to read.

I disagree completely, and I am a threaded reader.

The *PROPER* way to write email replies is to post comments inline, stripping
out everything not needed in the email you're replying to, such as I am doing
right now.  People who leave the entire message they've replied to, headers,
footers and inane comments intact for 16 messages "deep" are wasting
resources, no matter how small.

It takes more effort to propery trim and format email replies this way but IMO
it puts your responses in context and keeps the email concise, no matter how
deep the thread.

> I don't like HTML either but a lot of people don't know they can switch
> it off or that it even exists (its a word processor isn't it?).

True, it's a problem with MUAs in general.  Don't even get me started on the
WINMAIL.DAT-obsessed.  :-)

> Please don't bring these subjects into things it just makes people with
> other views upset.

Agreed to a point, but I also believe that polite society finds a common
ground and adheres to it for the good of the society.  :-)

-A.