[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk-Users List Etiquette

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 03:34:26 MST 2004

Kevin Walsh wrote:
> Steven Critchfield [critch at basesys.com] wrote:
>
>>You forgot to add in how awful it is when people  post using HTML and
>>then override font sizes or assume blue is an appropriate font color for
>>their message.
>>
>>While I know some people don't like it when I turn my attention to them,
>>if it takes me even one more button press to be able to read your mail,
>>it isn't likely to be interesting to me to even bother helping you with
>>your problem.
>>
>>Since the majority of unix users understand how each of us tweak our
>>environment to be the most productive for us, we don't like it when you
>>take liberties with our settings.
>>

> He also forgot to mention how awful it is when people lazily top-post
> instead of taking the time to format their followups correctly.
> This is especially true when trying to follow a thread found in the
> archives.
>
> I fully agree with your anti-HTML comments, by the way.

I think you will find that about half the people out there disagree with
this sentiment (a guess based on the number of top and bottom posters I
have seen) so no matter how often you ask it is not likely to change
things much.
Top posting is what a lot of people are very comfortable with.
It also has the advantage in lists that when you step through a thread
the answer to the last item is ready for you to read.
So If you bottom post you make life harder for the thread reader but if
you top post you make life harder for those that get a long mail out of
the archives.Who should we favor?
Don't ask why I am bottom posting, I have no good reason, it just so
happens that I am.

I don't like HTML either but a lot of people don't know they can switch
it off or that it even exists (its a word processor isn't it?).
Getting offended by these personal preferences just leads to that
etiquette problem, the god ol flame war. Or at least heated debate that
will never be won with so many advocates for each side, that the lists
become quite full of top/bottom html/text arguments.

Please don't bring these subjects into things it just makes people with
other views upset.