[Asterisk-Users] OT: fax obsoleted? Was: Re: Fax via email

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jun 14 03:07:44 MST 2004

On 2004.06.11 20:47 Steve Underwood wrote:

> The last info I got from a large FAX server is about a year old. It
> seems after several years of nothing much changing, FAX has suddenly
> taken a step up - kind of sad it should improve now it is obsolete :-)

Fax was only partially obsoleted.  Users, developers, and manufacturers
alike all "foresaw" the end of fax with the coming of the internet
age.  They were only partially right.

In the old days, before the internet became ubiquitous, fax was used
quite extensively for document retrieval.  So if you had
document-information that you wanted to make available to others then
it was popular to put them up on a "fax-on-demand" service, and the
inquirer would either receive the documents to their fax machine via
polling, or by "fax back".  This usage of fax has almost completely
been obsoleted by the internet browser and by PDF.  In the old days
everyone who was anyone had a fax-on-demand service.  These days that
has been obsoleted by the website.  So yes, receiver-initiated document
exchange has largely been replaced by websites.

There were also plenty of examples where people would use fax as a
means for small, somewhat unimportant, message communication - the
equivalent of today's e-mail.  Obviously e-mail has obsoleted this.

However, fax is still very much alive and healthy in the area of imaged
document exchange where the website or e-mail use would not be
appropriate - i.e., where the sender wants to initiate the document
exchange and the document is in a more-than-text form or image of some
kind (applications, completed applications, handwriting, etc.).
Furthermore, I don't see this usage of fax going away any time soon.
Indeed, technology seems to be providing better and better ways for
this to continue, and I see no end to this sender-initiated use of fax.

It's worth pointing out that e-mail works off of a different premise
than fax, and therefore cannot ever fully obsolete fax as it is.
Unlike a website or fax, e-mail does not provide a mechanism for both
the sender and the receiver to negotiate the communication and
presentation of the document.  E-mail permits the sender to send
arbitrary filetypes with arbitrary formatting which the receiver may or
may not be able to utilize easily.  With a website the receiver should
be aware of what they are clicking on, and with fax the receiver
"capabilities" are communicated at the outset to the sender, and the
sender must select tranmission parameters from those capabilites.
Thus, with fax the sender can have a reasonably good degree of
confidence that when the receiver sends the confirmation signal (MCF)
that the receiver can view the document and that it appears to the
receiver nearly exactly the same way as it appears to the sender.  Not
only can you not do this with e-mail, but furthermore with e-mail you
only know that your outbound mail relay has accepted the mail or not.
You do not have any reassurance that that the intended recipient
actually did receive the message.  And with the large amount of spam
out there (very large in comparison to the quantity of junk faxes),
spam filters, e-mail viruses, and such, e-mail really isn't a very good
means to transmit these kinds of things.

The fact that faxing has traditionally been done over POTS/PSTN lines
is largely irrelevant, I think.  Technology such as VoIP/FoIP is
providing a means for fax to utilize the internet, and I only suspect
to see an increase in the demand for fax-ready or fax-aware VoIP
equipment or software.  So fax modems may become obsoleted with the
growth of the internet (it's going to take a long while for broadband
to get to everyone with a fax application, though), but fax itself will
still be there, running on things such as t38modem and your
spandsp/rxfax/txfax.  It's not going away.

> The 33.6k feature has certainly spread considerably in the last year
> or two.

V.34-Fax is a smart thing for fax.  Not only does it make the total
communication take less time in most cases, but the fact that V.34 is
used continuously throughout the session *without dropping and raising
the carriers* makes it very stable.  Without V.34-Fax you have to drop
and raise the V.17/V.29/V.27 primary carrier and the V.21 control
carrier frequently, and every time that happens there is a risk of
losing synchronicity due to noise or timing problems.

Fax machine manufacturers that want to have happy customers first make
sure their products supports ECM (requires 64K RAM per line, so there
is an actual hardware difference - not just firmware).  Users won't
know what this means, except that they'll get perfect faxes nearly
every time.  They'll eventually toss those cheap non-ECM fax machines
when they have communication problems that are resolved when they go
and buy a nicer ECM-supporting fax machine.  They won't realize that it
was ECM, they'll just know that the cheap fax machine didn't do as good
a job as the not-as-cheap one.  Likewise manufacturers that want happy
customers will implement V.34-Fax not just for faster faxing, but
because it provides a more stable fax medium.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is that inevitably there is going to be an
FoIP solution that supports both ECM and V.34-Fax.  If you want your
product to be the standard-bearer, well, thinking that fax is obsolete
will not be helpful.  :-)  If you really are looking for the path of
least effort, I would recommend that you forget most of the fax
protocol - like t38modem, leaving the faxing up to applications like
HylaFAX, efax, or whatever - and merely work at an AT-command interface
(Class 1/1.0 should be sufficient) application for spandsp, say
"spandspmodem".  That should be significantly more simple.

Lee.