[Asterisk-Users] Fax via email

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jun 11 20:47:52 MST 2004

Darren Nickerson wrote:

>>The last time I checked on a big FAX server, only a few percent of the
>>calls used anything but basic 9600bps non-ECM operation. When I look in
>>the shops, hardly any of the FAX machines - other than the low selling
>>high end laser models - support anything fancy. If you are dealing
>>purely with FAXes between big companies, most of the machines you
>>encounter probably support the fancy features. In the general case, they
>>don't.
>>

>What can I say? That's not our reality. Every little HP OfficeJet el-cheapo
>multifunction inkjet device does ECM, MMR and V.34 (up to 33.6) speed faxing
>these days. That's reflected in a large number of greater than 14,400 speed
>connections (typically 28.8). They're not considered bells and whistles ..
>they're just standard.

I spent half an hour looking around the web, and it seems we are both
wrong. The truth lies somewhere between our statements. :-)

The last info I got from a large FAX server is about a year old. It
seems after several years of nothing much changing, FAX has suddenly
taken a step up - kind of sad it should improve now it is obsolete :-)

The low end fax machines from the biggest supplier of all - Sharp - are
9600 non-correcting machines. Some other makers - Canon, HP, etc - start
at 14,400 now. The low end monochrome OfficeJets are only 14400, but do
appear to have error correction (the web site info is not entirely clear
about the error correction part). However, you don't need to go far up
the range to get a 33.6k modem. The 33.6k feature has certainly spread
considerably in the last year or two.

Regards,
Steve