[Asterisk-Users] GSM to ISDN or TAPI

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 04:42:28 MST 2004

Chris Lee <cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> I am going to have some remote machines which need to have
> adjustments made to their settings on occasion, the most cost
> effective and user friendly way I can come up with is a simple IVR
> system that says press 1 to set limits on flow, press two for flow
> status report etc.

I've got a better idea.

Stick the IVR system on a box with a wired telco connection. Not only
will this make DTMF more reliable and the audio will be clearer which
is useful when reading out lots of statistics, but it will also make
it much easier for you to test, manage and update. Unless you like
site visits to the middle of nowhere.

The backend AGI scripts on this system can then speak a lightweight
protocol to the remote system to query it. I'd be inclined to use GPRS
as it'd have a very low cost considering the minimal amount of data
that would pass, with CSD as a fallback if GPRS fails or the remote
handset runs out of credit.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key