[Asterisk-Users] NetworkWorld article on Open Source Telephony

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Wed Jun 9 09:50:41 MST 2004

> Of course, right now things
> like * do not have an adequate reputation to pick up much of that
> business. There is, however, a preparedness there for radical change.

When you are able to purchase support contracts on Asterisk (E.g. Yearly
(not hourly)) * will gain a lot of momentum.  There also needs to be a
released version and a lot of marketing work that goes into * before it
will be considered mainstream.  As techies and early adopters, we realize
the full potential, but often the decision makers do/will not without
paperwork and case studies.  I also think some sort of Digium VAR
certification system will ensure that the people that others hire in this
process are fully accredited and understand the technology.

Aside from echo issues that seem to be apparent with everyone occasionally
(by everyone, those not running hardware T1 echo cans) I believe * is
ready for the prime time.  Integrators however should have a better
starting point regarding what type of channel banks are
recommended, what is fully supported, which sip phones play nicely etc.
Right now it always seems to be a big finger pointing game, (which is
fine, and I do fully appreciate Digium's contributions)
but in order for it to go mainstream or production on a large scale, many
of these issues will need to be addressed.

I also don't want this thread of mine to be interpreted as a flame.  I am
very happy with the way things are right now, but am just stating my
observations of how Asterisk is different from say RedHat.

It has taken RedHat quite some time to get to where they are today, and I
am sure Digium/Asterisk will follow a similar course.

- Brent