[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Darren Edmundson asterisk at at.dot.durge.org
Wed Jun 9 03:33:33 MST 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Duane wrote:
> How's it a DNS "hack" when the SRV record includes the A record????

Because you're having to create subdoms and use them for your SIP
addresses, rather than using the facilities that SIP provides to allow you
to use your domain, just as you would for email. Yes you still need an A
record, but you do for MXs for mail, and CNAMES for web (etc). The various
RFCs has given you a perfectly usable solution, yet you choose to work
around it; ergo it is a hack.

> Everyone will use A records regardless... They make up part of the SRV
> record so either way things aren't suddenly going to break...

Yes, I use an A records to provide a name->address mapping of my hosts. I
don't use A records in any of my public-facing services though. This
means that in the past I've been able to change ISPs, replace faulty
machines almost instantly, and renumber my network as needed by only
changing the few definative A records, rather than having to update every
DNS entry on every domain (some of which I don't directly control) that
points at one of my machines. This is Best Common Practice for DNS
administration - using CNAMEs, MXs and (increasingly) SRV RRs.

Using just A records will not only mean you have an ugly contact address
that doesn't correspond to your email address, but also proove to be
completely unmaintainable in anything but the most trivial setups.

Unfortunately, it seems from my bugreport that the powers that be are as
spit over this as we are, which is a shame - I'd have hoped that RFC
compliance was an obvious aim for any piece of software....

*shrug*

 -Darren

--
Darren Edmundson - Internet & 3G Technologist
Voice/Video: +447782324636  Fax: +447782799422
MSN:gridzero at hotmail.com