[Asterisk-Users] Compiling Asterisk with G.723.1

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 8 09:53:20 MST 2004

Achilles Bochoris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to Asterisk and I need to compile the G.723.1 codec
> for Asterisk. I downloaded the ITU source code, placed it in the codecs
> directory, but apparently Asterisk needs a rather different library than
> the one provided from ITU.
>
> As I've seen in the mailing list archives, there are quite a few users
> who were able to compile G.723.1 in *, so, could someone kindly share it
> with me in order to be able to use this codec?

There's one available but it's *very* expensive (read: 1.2 million
dollars expensive for an unlimited license.  Even simple asterisk server
is $30,000 per server).

http://www.dspg.com/technology/LicensePricing.html

Of course someone outside US could get this working (software patents
are currently only a US phenomenon) but there's no way that it'd get
into the asterisk tree as I believe digium are US based.

Tony

--
All your code belongs to Santa

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917
Phone(FWD): (0845 004 5566) 413300