[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Tue Jun 8 08:52:18 MST 2004

Duane wrote:

> The documentation, well what documentation there is, simply isn't
> coherent enough, or detailed enough to explain these things, and the few
> lines in the config file certainly doesn't explain anything either...
>
> ;srvlookup=yes ; Enable DNS SRV lookups on outbound calls
>                ; Note: Asterisk only uses the first host in SRV records

Seems simple enough to me.  If you think people are too stupid to figure
it out, feel free to submit a patch that explains the setting in great
detail.

> Joe Public stumbles upon asterisk, not a clue what all the features and
> modules and what not is for, do you think he'll be clued up enough to
> remove the leading semicolon???

Well, if he's not, he's pretty screwed anyway.  I'm just wondering which
MENSA class you entered.  After all, everyone but you is an idiot
according to you.

Just how do you suppose that Joe Public "stumbled" across Asterisk in
the first place?  Is he now too stupid to google "DNS SVR"?  Perhaps we
should also modify the documentation to remind Joe Public to inhale and
exhale, otherwise he'll die of lack of oxygen!

> That is what my point is, until asterisk has it enabled by default, and
> all the current user base use a version of asterisk that supports it
> properly is there all that much point in promoting it so heavily?

Just as much point as promoting E164.  Actually, MORE: DNS SVR is part
of the RFC.

> Now how many pieces of MTA software out of the box have MX record
> lookups disabled??? I'd hazard a guess at none...

Simple fix.  Enable SVR lookups by default.  How many people pointing
out that you're wrong does it take for it to sink in?