[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: DNS SRV records

Duane duane at e164.org
Tue Jun 15 20:25:56 MST 2004

Randy Bush wrote:

> it is not ours to decide that srv and naptr are not the way this
> will be implemented; it's in the standard.  and telling folk "don't
> use a sip url, use enum" is technical, social, and business
> insanity.

Yes I've been told how much you love enum and the idea of alternate
zones so I won't even bother getting into that argument with you.

As for good business sense, seems like a pretty good idea to me and all
the companies I've been promoting asterisk to, to have enum services.
They also seem to like the idea of not having to pay 2.9c or more to
receive 1800 numbers (or in the case of Australia, you're lucky to get
it under 16c) per minute. This is even more so when most companies
already have large amounts of bandwidth and they can simply terminate
the call over the net.

Last time I checked most people preferred normal looking phones then
ones with 101 keyboards. I don't really want to be walking round with a
laptop to make calls when something the size of my 6110 is more
suitable, so SRV or not won't help in all situations.

As for social insanity, how can it be insane if people are volunteering
the information rather then having it forced upon them?

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the
stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence."