[Asterisk-Users] Help, Ideas and Ready for use Solutions

Bisker, Scott (7805) sbisker at harvardgrp.com
Fri Jun 4 07:04:45 MST 2004

If there is already an existing phone system in place, you could easily migrate to an asterisk based solution if your internal phones are analog.  The big question for you is not number of phone lines, but peak utilization.  Here's what I have.

141 Analog Phone Lines
15 SIP IP Phones (Mix Cisco 7960 and Polycom IP500)
T-1 E&M For Long Distance
PRI For Local Calls with 200 DID Numbers.
Max concurrent calls 15-20 (30-40 active channels)

I serve all of this from a machine with the following config

Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz
2 Gig Memory
3x36 Gig SCSI Drives in Hardware Raid 5 Configuration.
2xT400P
6xAdtran TA750 Channel Banks with 6xQuadFXS cards in Loopstart Config.

This is more than enough for my call volume.  The CPU utilization is minimal.

As you need more functionality at each phone location, you could switch to IP phones as needed.

If you are starting from scratch, you will have a higher startup cost in equipment.

-sb