[Asterisk-Users] Re: Transfer with Budgetone

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jun 3 06:28:33 MST 2004

Philipp von Klitzing wrote:

> Then one option is to check if you can keep the PBX and the phones, and
> just put Asterisk in between this PBX and the Telco. Compensate the costs
> of the Asterisk hardware with less spending on calls due to routing
> through a VoIP proivder etc and see if that makes a good argument, but
> don't forget a decent Internet link.

Hmm... we only have access to the company side of the PBX (we own the
room with the patch board in it, but the PBX itself is actually handled
elsewhere).  Interesting idea though.

> BTW: And are you sure people wouldn't like to have voicemail? You'll need
> to make them want that... ;-> I guess you can even argue that voicemail
> increases productivity.

Since we share phones (at least the developers/non customer facing
people) voicemail wouldn't work too well because we'd get each others'
messages.  The pen & sticky pad method seems to be OK.  If everyone had
their own phone of course I could see it being quite useful (even a
selling point of VOIP).

> Conferencing: From my experience that is a very handy feature if your
> company does team-oriented work. So the point is NOT to gather everyone
> in the conference room and then use that three-leg monster to talk to
> someone else, but to have everyone sitting in THEIR office and just
> quickly establish an - internal or external - ad-hoc conference when
> needed.

For most theoretical uses of conference you call a meeting - face to
face communication can never really be replaced.

For inter-office and customer conferences you generally want to use the
separate conference room/phone because it's handy to have silent
listeners giving hand signals when the customer starts talking bull...t
- it means the customer facing people don't have to understand the
technical details.

> I'd rather use X-Lite than MSN Messenger...

The advantage that MSN Messenger has is that it's installed on every
machine (whether you like it or not!) so it's a zero effort (and zero
cost) fallback.

Tony

--
All your code belongs to Santa

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917
Phone(FWD): (0845 004 5566) 413300