[Asterisk-Users] DNS SRV records

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Jun 2 17:38:38 MST 2004

Duane [duane at e164.org] wrote:
> John Fraizer wrote:
>
> Blah blah blah crap crap crap...
>
> I know what a SRV record is, and until they start making it work
> correctly in Asterisk A records will be what I tell people to use, well
> unless you want them to use SER which I am told does handle SRV
> properly...
>
> > Now.  On the matter of who made an ass of them self, I think you should
> > take a close look in the mirror because it was most certainly not I.
>
> sip://123456@fwd.pulver.com
>
> oh wait no SRV record on that, only an A record... Oh my what's the
> world coming to, all hell is going to break loose, crawl back into the
> hole you came out of you loud mouth fool...

Not being one to stay out of an argument, here's what I do. :-)

I publish kevin at voip.cursor.biz as my SIP address and also have
kevin at cursor.biz available via a SRV record.  The "voip" host serves
two purposes:

    1. The "voip" host alias (well, an A record actually) can point
       to any server I like, so I can move Asterisk from one server
       to another without having to publish a new SIP address.

    2. The "voip" part makes it (reasonably) clear that it's a SIP
       address and not an email address.  (I know that one address
       can be used for both, before someone points that out.)  Perhaps
       sip.cursor.biz would be clearer but I just prefer "voip";  It's
       less specific, so can be used to cover IAX too.

I do have SRV records, but I don't publish SIP addresses using domains
based upon them.  Perhaps I will one day.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz