[Asterisk-Users] H.323 and cause code 'user busy'

Tim Robinson timweb at txrx.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 11:25:03 MST 2004

This is a known architectural issue that does not appear to have been
resolved yet.

See bug http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0001337

The problem is the mapping of the various internal states of different
Asterisk channels on to the Q.931 states.

Asterisk currently does not wait for 'alerting' to be confirmed on the
outgoing channel before 'ALERTING' is sent out on the ISDN line.  This
means that if the outgoing channel turns out to be  'busy', it is
already too late to reject the incoming call with a 'SUBSCRIBER BUSY'
cause as this is not valid in the ALERTING phase.  Our switches here in
the UK retuern 'ringback tone' to the calling party as soon as
'ALERTING' is received, and if it is then rejected with a 'busy'
clearing cause you get a message 'The other party has hung up'.

I spoke to Markster at length about this but I am not sure I really made
the issue clear.

Anyone else got any comments on this issue? I think it is a fairly major
issue...

Rgds
Tim