[Asterisk-Users] H.323 and cause code 'user busy'

Jan Baumann asterisk at cyberways.net
Wed Jun 2 09:40:08 MST 2004

Hi all,

I just installed chan_h323 to interface to a H.323/ISDN gateway.
It works really well after two days learning and testing except one thing
somebody of you may have an answer to:

If I call in from PSTN to a busy asterisk SIP extension I can see a SIP status
486 BUSY, but don't get it passed to the H.323/ISDN side.

Asterisk jumps correctly to EXTEN+101 in the dialplan. I tried different Apps
there (Hangup, Busy, Congestion)

They deliver different cause codes to the H.323/ISDN side (normal call clearing
or call rejected) but none of them returns 'user busy' as expected.

In Zaptel with Q.931 PRI (euroisdn) you can do

exten => 123,102,SetVar(PRI_CAUSE=17)
exten => 123,103,Hangup

to explicitely set the RELEASE cause code.

Is something similiar also possible with H.323?

Thank you and regards,

Jan