[Asterisk-Users] Unblocking incoming SIP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jun 1 00:02:24 MST 2004

Eric Wieling wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 10:16, Duane wrote:
>
>>Andy Powell wrote:
>>

>>>Anything that's added to * that breaks how protocols work should be by default OFF not ON,
>>>but that's just IMO...
>>
>>I agree 100%, this has been very frustrating trying to work out why
>>Asterisk suddenly stopped accepting calls from FWD and other PSTN based
>>services.
>>
>>I very much preferred the old method, if I didn't want to accept a SIP
>>call you just don't have a matching context.
>

> The problem is that too many people had a context= in [general] and
> didn't realize that incoming SIP calls that didn't match anything would
> be accepted and sent to the context= that was specified in [genera].

Th actual reason for the patch that caused all of this was that we
had a security whole that exposed peers without *any* authentication regardless
of password setting. Unfortunately, when fixing this we used the wrong
set of credentials (the peers, not the channels) that caused authentication
to happen always.

If you update your cvs head there's a patch to the patch that fixes
this.

There was no intent to change the general behaviour for calls to the
[general] context. That would indeed have been advertised.

The patch only applied to situations when peers where matched on IP
when dialing *to* Asterisk. If you had an FWD [user] configured,
nothing would have happened. (A [friend] includes both a [peer],
someone we place calls to, and a [user], someone who calls us.)

I was an idiot matching the wrong credentials (and fooling Mark into
adding this) but I wasn't the kind of idiot that changed the
behaviour of a much used function without telling anyone.
And I believe Mark wouldn't have accepted that, he's very keen
on backwards compatibility.

/O