[Asterisk-Users] IAXy config samples

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Thu Jul 29 10:54:41 MST 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:21:17PM +1200, Eugen Cristea wrote:
> Asterisk refuses to register IAXy.I am using the "IAXY
> Configuration Guide" that comes with the IAXy.
> The guide does not say anything about the [general]
> section in the iax.conf and the handbook has no IAXy
> example.
> Any hints?
> Thanks

Did you provision the IAXy to give it a server, username, password etc? There are two ways to do this, one is using the provisioning tool mentioned in the guide the other is to use the provisioning built in to asterisk.

There is a config file in more recent builds of asterisk called iaxprov.conf. In there you put a template entry such as:

[default]
port=4569
server=192.168.1.103
language=en
codec=ulaw
flags=register
tos=lowdelay

You then add an entry for each IAXy device that you want to provision and reference this template. Any entries in the default template will be picked up.

[backoffice]
user=backoffice
pass=supersecret
template=default

Once that is set up and you have reloaded the config files, you can go to the asterisk console and type:

iax2 provision <ip of iaxy> backoffice

You will, of course, have to determine what the IP address of the IAXy is in the first place. This can be easy or hard depending on if you have access to the DHCP logs for your network. For more information on this command you can do: help iax2 provision

Once you power cycle the IAXy it will attempt to connect to the asterisk server at 192.168.1.103 and register with the username and password. This means that you will have to have an entry in your iax.conf file that matches. For example:

[backoffice]
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=default