[Asterisk-Users] Best Linux for Asterisk

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 29 07:15:56 MST 2004

Sebastian Nocetti <snocetti at fibertel.com.ar> wrote:
> All distributions are based on same kernels... And in my opinion,
> Kernel is who does all work in an operative systemm.. I am wrong?...

Sort of. libc is the other thing that can affect performance. However,
any distribution worth its salt will provide a selection of optimal
kernel and libcs because of this.

The effort of building a custom kernel and libc is probably
worthwhile, but beyond that you should probably spend your efforts
elsewhere other than recompiling stuff for the sake of it. Gentoo's
performance improvements from recompiling the world are usually more
psychological than practical.

--
[About a discussion of heavily customised cars.]
I thought they were talking about cheap whores - smelly, ugly, brightly