[Asterisk-Users] Workaround for BroadVoice and possibly others...

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Wed Jul 28 15:13:58 MST 2004

I have an idea, tell me if this wouldn't work... I know it's really ugly,
but it might help some people until we can get round robin DNS checks for
peers...

Since * does not do GetHostByName() again until you reload your config, and
BroadVoice and I'm sure other sip providers are using round robin DNS, why
not create 2 [<your server here>-out] contexts in sip.conf, and then in your
dialplan do something like this

sip.conf -

-snip-
[broadvoice-out]
host=147.135.0.128

-snip-
[broadvoice-out2]
host=147.135.8.128

extensions.conf -

-snip-
[sipphones]

exten => _9NXXNXXNXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1}@broadvoice-out,60)
exten => _9NXXNXXNXXX,102,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1}@broadvoice-out2,60)
exten => _9NXXNXXNXXX,203,Congestion()

Any thoughts? I know, I know... UGLY... but it would work I think...