[Asterisk-Users] Re: pound key tone generated after call answered?

Stephen David steve at davidnj.net
Tue Jul 27 20:17:52 MST 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:15:32 -0400
> From: Stephen David <steve at davidnj.net>
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] pound key tone generated after call answered?
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been working on an * dialer application, whereby a requirement is that if no one answers the call, a message must be left on voicemail.  I've been using the record(tmp.gsm) function with silence detection enabled to wait for the greeting to finish before speaking.
>
> However, on voicemail systems where you can interrupt the greeting with a pound (#) key to access your voicemail (ie. verizon wireless), the call placed by asterisk appears to be immediately generating a tone (upon answer) that the voicemail system is interpreting as a pound key (#).  I know this because if i listen to tmp.gsm, i hear the tail end of "please enter your password, then press pound.", and NOT "hello, this is steve, please leave message" as i expected.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this in the future, i figured it out.  The problem is not that a # key tone was getting generated on answer, the problem was that i was setting the CallerID to the same value that I was dialing.  Apparently it is a feature of certain voicemail systems that it detects this and automatically goes to voicemail.   that's why if you dial yourself from your cellphone you get voicemail instead of your greeting.

> also of note is that this only happens when dialing using IAX2 with a call termination provider, and not with ZAP and a POTS line.   also note that i've tried two different IAX2 providers with the same resuls.  (using zap and pots lines is not preferrable in this case)
>
> one more note is that i've disabled the 'beep' before the recording starts (commented out lines in app_record.c and re-built code), just in case that was causing it -- no change in behavior, though.
>
> any thoughts on what could be causing this, or how to further troubleshoot?
>
> Regards,
> Steve

whew...

Regards,