[Asterisk-Users] Nat...again....

Mark Woods asteriskadmin at fuse.net
Mon Jul 26 20:07:46 MST 2004

Thanks for your reply, Leif!

Leif Madsen wrote:

>>This has probably been answered somewhere, but I'm stumped.
>>
>>I have two Zap channels (FXS and FXO), both working fine.  I
>>can call from Zap/1 to Zap/2 and reverse.
>>
>>I've also configured SIP channels, both inside and outside of my
>>firewall.  Inside can call outside, and outside can call inside.
>>Also, both inside and outside can make and receive calls to/from
>>Zap/1 & Zap/2.
>>
>>What doesn't work, and makes no sense to me given the above, is
>>two outside SIP channels can connect but cannot pass traffic.  It
>>would make sense to me if I couldn't already accept inbound/outbound
>>SIP calls in some other way, but that isn't the case....
>>
>>Thoughts?  My sip.conf is below (edited slightly for privacy):
>>

>Might not be worth much, but I haven't seen a reply yet.
>
>Have you forwarded port 5060 to Asterisk?  Have you forwarded the port
>range specified in rtp.conf?  By default it is 10000 -> 20000, but I
>change mine to 10000 -> 10005.

I believe so, but I'll check it again.  I did see that in the docs, and
I do have both inbound and outbound calls to/from the outside SIP
channels working.  This is where I'm baffled...it seems to me that if I
can place an inbound call through the server to, say, the Zap/2 channel,
and an outbound call to a SIP extension at the same time, from, say, my
Zap/1 channel, then I've accomplished the basics and the server should
be able to bridge two outside SIP channels (incoming SIP -> server ->
outgoing SIP).

I'm going to be taking a network trace (ethereal is a great piece of
software!) to find out *exactly* what the two outbound SIP clients are
seeing/doing, but, unfortunately, I have to wait on a particular couple
of people to test...

>As for your [general] section, I would maybe try something like this:
>

>>[general]
>>port = 5060                     ; Port to bind to
>>context=sip-extensions
>>externip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>localnet = 192.168.1.0/24
>>

>localmask is no longer used.  Not sure if there is backwords
>compatibility (and I'm doing this from memory, I don't have Asterisk
>behind NAT anymore)
>
>I don't know, maybe it will work, maybe it won't :)

Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance!

-Mark