OT: Re: [Asterisk-Users] John Vogel

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:01:54 MST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:34:08 -0700, Chris Travers
<chris at metatrontech.com> wrote:
> Just submitting this to the list as a whole for peer review and
> additional feedback.
>
> General suggestions for authoring:
>
> 1)  Learn LaTeX or at least LyX.  It will professionally arrange your
> table of contents, index, etc. quite well, and your publisher can
> control the layout quite well using external style sheets.  If your
> publisher doesn;t want to go to this trouble it will still greatly
> simplify your creation and maintenance of your book as it becomes longer.
>
> Also, if you end up publishing it yourself, LaTeX will provide you with
> great features which will make your life MUCH easier and your work MUCH
> more professional-looking.  Personally I write all my documents in LaTeX
> using vim but that is strictly a matter of personal preference.
>
> You could use Docbook SGML or XML instead of LaTeX, but I find LaTeX
> much simpler ot use.

I personally love DocBook.  Works very well for this type of thing.  I
can't comment on LaTeX as I've never used it, but I'm sure its very
similar.  If you want to see a project which uses DocBook, check out
the Asterisk-Docs project.  Obviously a work in progress, but its
allowed us to very simply generate HTML and PDFs.

My 2 cents CDN,
Leif Madsen
http://www.asteriskdocs.org