OT: Re: [Asterisk-Users] John Vogel

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Mon Jul 26 15:34:08 MST 2004

Just submitting this to the list as a whole for peer review and
additional feedback.

General suggestions for authoring:

1)  Learn LaTeX or at least LyX.  It will professionally arrange your
table of contents, index, etc. quite well, and your publisher can
control the layout quite well using external style sheets.  If your
publisher doesn;t want to go to this trouble it will still greatly
simplify your creation and maintenance of your book as it becomes longer.

Also, if you end up publishing it yourself, LaTeX will provide you with
great features which will make your life MUCH easier and your work MUCH
more professional-looking.  Personally I write all my documents in LaTeX
using vim but that is strictly a matter of personal preference.

You could use Docbook SGML or XML instead of LaTeX, but I find LaTeX
much simpler ot use.

2)  Hiring an editor is worth the expense.  The editor functions as a
second set of eyes which can spot issues maybe you haven't.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting